One chapter closes, a new one opens…

This is the part of the blog that I was so nervous about writing, all will transpire as you read on…

Whilst waiting for my bundle of joy to arrive I had so much to look forward to, I was back in the UK with my family and I wanted to take full advantage of them being only a short car journey away (as opposed to a 24 hour flight!).

I decided that I was going to go against tradition and arrange my own baby shower, I’m a massive control freak and as this whole pregnancy was such a surprise I wanted to make sure that all my family and friends were invited.

My dad and step mum kindly let me use their house for the baby shower, they have a lovely back garden that would just be the best setting.

I invited my close friends and family to come along, but was really gutted that my mum and granny couldn’t make it as they were in Spain. It was ok though as I knew we’d make up for it when Peanut arrived.

One of the things I was most thrilled about was that my Nana could come! My dad’s mum means the absolute world to me and helped to bring me up, she lost my grandpa only 7 months previous and had been struggling, so I hoped that this might cheer her up as I knew how excited she was about the impending arrival.


The baby shower was just the most special day, it was sunny and I was surrounded by so many people that I love. I was showered with so many special gifts and was blown away by everybody’s generosity.

I left the games element up to my guests and they sure didn’t disappoint! My favourite was the ‘baby grow’ game, where each team of four had to create a ‘designer baby grow’ to win an exclusive prize. As you can see from above, I have some pretty talented friends.

I decided to pick the baby grow that had a kangaroo on it and the words ‘ Oz or UK, it will be ok!’ – It meant so much to me, as it was playing on my mind that I would be whisking Peanut all the way back around the world again in six month’s time. I was thrilled when I found out that it was my Nana’s team that had designed that baby grow, I knew it was their way of showing how much they support me.

One of the great things about being back in the UK is that I get to attend some of my family and friend’s big life occasions, hell there are three weddings that we’ve been invited to in the UK this summer. The first of the weddings was Stephen’s sister’s wedding, which was taking place two weeks after the baby shower. I was so excited as it meant that I’d get to meet some of Stephen’s family that I hadn’t met yet, and of course to celebrate Yvonne’s special day.

As with so many moments in my life, things never go as planned and things seem to happen when I least expect them, leaving me feeling like a rug has been pulled from under my feet…

It was the day before Yvonne’s wedding and Stephen and I were in Liverpool shopping for Stephen’s suit and I got a call from my dad. My nana had been taken ill in the week and was gravely ill at Wigan Infirmary – my dad explained that she was having trouble breathing and that she was in intensive care. Stephen and I rushed to be by her bedside that evening. We knew that we had Yvonne’s wedding the next day and I was now heavily pregnant and my pain from my adhesions had gotten even worse – to the point I couldn’t drive on my own. I got a chance to speak to my nana and give her a hug and a kiss and told her I’d be back on Monday morning.

The wedding was stunning and Yvonne looked beautiful, however I couldn’t help but think of my nana all day.


I received a phonecall at 2pm from my brother, who explained that they had made the difficult decision to stop the oxygen – I was absolutely devastated, but understood the reasons and that we didn’t want her to be in pain anymore. He told me that she was stable and that all the family were there and to not worry.

The next morning I raced to the hospital with Stephen, however five minutes before we got there she had sadly passed away. It was like we’d been hit by a rock, my nana, the matriarch of our family had gone, only two weeks before our planned c-section and arrival of Peanut. We were completely in shock.

Despite the awful circumstances, I was happy that my nana and my grandpa would be together again. My family also reassured me that nana finding out about me having Peanut and meeting Stephen had made her some happy in the past six months and that she couldn’t have been happier for me and our future family.

I wont go into details about the send off we gave her, but I will say that we gave her the goodbye that she deserved.

The two weeks before the c-section, Peanut’s arrival, were again – the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. It truly brought to the fore the sentiment of the saying that as one chapter closes, another one opens.

I am so lucky to have had a lady like my nana in my life, she has tight me so much and had helped to make me the person that I am today, for that I am forever thankful and will have the memories for a lifetime.


For my Nana Mary and Grandpa Albert – you’re with us always in our hearts and our thoughts. x



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s